75 years & over - Winter
Now is the winter of our discontent, that is if you can’t use your concession card!
Frequent loo visits in the middle of the night are the norm, it is worth reducing liquid intake from 6pm onwards to reduce visits.
If you don’t understand things by now, you may have missed that boat. This is still a time to keep learning about life and all of its mysteries.
Travel at every opportunity (if you can get the insurance). It is a time of shorter trips and visits to the family, keep planning trips to assist the mind stay active.
Live each day like it is your last because it may well be. As you settle into winter you realise the fragility of life and the importance of enjoying each moment of the day from sunrise to sunset.
Top up your eulogy with the past few years experiences or write one if you have neglected to record your journey. There is nothing worse than going to a funeral and the only words spoken are that he died after living a long life.
Afternoon naps are essential and recommended. Set you alarm for an hour though so that you do not miss dinner! Power naps as the name suggests do provide power/energy for the body.
The line to the exit of life rapidly reduces, everyone is moving towards the exit of life. Use this fact to fill every day with joy and happiness.
- Afternoon naps are essential and recommended. Set your alarm though for an hour so that you do not miss dinner. Power naps as the name suggests do provide power/energy for the body.
- Frequent loo visits in the middle of the night are the norm. It is worth reducing liquid intake from 6pm onwards to reduce loo visits.
- Travel at every opportunity if you can get the insurance. It is a time of shorter trips and visits to the family. Keep planning trips to assist the mind to stay active.
- Buy a smart watch, they will tell you to get up and move if you have been sitting around for extended periods of time. If you are a golfer the watch will also inform you of yardages on your golf course.
- Stay mentally active, continue to learn. Here is an opportunity to visit museums, art galleries and botanical gardens to use all of your sensory abilities. Make an effort to get outside and into the sunshine.
- Beware of spending too much time in your own mind, to get the best value from your brain requires having a break in transmission, schedule in some meditation. There are plenty of free meditation apps although if you want to get serious upload sync tuition. This is the app that works for the author.
- Be aware what food you are feeding your body, choose fruit, vegetables and lean meats. It is okay to have fast food as a treat.
- Visit the GP every 2 years for a thorough check-up
- Start a health plan if necessary
- Stay active and keep moving
- Keep the mind active with puzzles, newspapers and audiobooks
- Make your own soup out of fresh vegetables
- Get plenty of rest
- Stay hydrated throughout the day
- Tell people how you feel